The guided missile destroyer USS John S McCain was east of the Strait of Malacca and Singapore when a collision with a Liberian-flagged tanker occurred.
The BBC`s Karishma Vaswani reports from a boat close to Singapore`s Changi naval base is being assessed for damage.
A car rammed into a bus stop in the southern French port city of Marseille on Monday, killing at least one woman, police said.
  It was not immediately clear if the incident was an accident or a deliberate attempt to cause harm.
The driver of the car was arrested.
The website of France Info reported that a second bus stop may also have been struck and police said a security operation was underway and urged residents to avoid the city`s port area.
  French media said the driver may be known to police and have mental health issues.
  It comes as European authorities continue to hunt for 22-year-old Moroccan Younes Abouyaaqoub, the suspected driver of a van that plowed down Barcelona’s Las Ramblas promenade on Thursday, killing 13 pedestrians and injuring over 120 more.
Hours later in Spain, other members of the same 12-man terrorist cell thought to be behind the Barcelona attack — claimed by the Islamic State group — killed one person and injured several more in the coastal town of Cambrils.
Farther east along the French Mediterranean coast from Marseille, in Nice, more than 80 people were killed last year when a truck was deliberately driven into crowds celebrating Bastille Day.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.
More: 100 gas tanks: Extremists in Spain planned massive attack Read or Share this story: https://usat.
An app is set to launch in a northeast Chinese city that allows anybody - not just the rich and famous - to hire a personal bodyguard, it`s reported.
The Jinyiwei app, which is set to launch in Qingdao in September, provides a Uber-like service, and connects individuals and companies citywide with over 50,000 staff from 47 security companies.
It provides bodyguards for anyone who feels unsafe, and according to Qingdao News, will help those who are particularly concerned about transporting valuables.
App users can see the availability of bodyguards across the city in real time, making the service similar to many taxi application services.
English-language paper China Daily says that the price range is expected to be between 70 and 200 yuan ($10.
15-£23) an hour, and is available for individuals or companies.
Li Shangshang, one of the app`s developers, told the paper that the bodyguards are former military personnel, and have been required to present their ID cards and military discharge certificates or permits in order to qualify for the app.
"They have also been required to take manners and etiquette training classes, and must wear a uniform at work," he added, and says that they can cooperate with the police in the event of a fight.
The service has had mixed reaction on Chinese social media platform Sina Weibo.
Many say that it is a "good idea" and "useful" for vulnerable groups.
But some ask whether it will be exploited by "lonely" single women seeking to find a partner.
Another user asks pointedly, "If you have this, then what`s the point of the police?" Reporting by Kerry Allen Next story: Canadian cop`s lack of French cancels speeding ticket Use #NewsfromElsewhere to stay up-to-date with our reports via Twitter.
Spanish police have confirmed the identity of the driver suspected of killing 14 people in last week`s attack in Barcelona.
He is 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, officials say, and the manhunt has been extended across Europe.
New CCTV footage from the day of the attack appears to show him fleeing the scene on foot.
One woman died in a second attack and officials have now confirmed a 15th victim, stabbed to death in his car.
At a press conference on Monday, officials also revealed there were "strong indications" that an imam suspected of radicalising the young men who carried out the attacks had died in an explosion at a house that was being used as a bomb factory.
All victims identified Three images in El Pais newspaper allegedly show Abouyaaqoub walking through La Boqueria market, wearing sunglasses, as he passes other people heading away from Las Ramblas.
Police also released more images of Abouyaaqoub, and appealed for help in finding him.
They say the suspect is dangerous and could be armed.
The Catalan government said the 15th victim was Pau Pérez, 34, from Vila Franca, who was found stabbed to death in the passenger seat of his vehicle on Thursday evening.
Police believe it was carjacked by the Las Ramblas suspect after the attack there.
Thirteen people were killed when the van, allegedly driven by Moroccan-born Abouyaaqoub, swerved through crowds in the busy Las Ramblas in Barcelona on Thursday.
One woman died during a second attack in Cambrils when a car was driven into pedestrians in the early hours of Friday, and five suspected jihadists were killed at the scene by police.
Catalan officials said on Monday that all 15 victims had now been identified and their families notified.
On Sunday, Catalan police chief Josep Lluís Trapero said that of 12 suspects, only one - assumed to be Abouyaaqoub - remained at large.
In addition to the five killed in Cambrils, he said four others were under arrest and there were two sets of human remains to be identified at the house that blew up in the town of Alcanar, south of Barcelona, last Wednesday night.
On Monday, police said they believed Imam Abdelbaki Es Satty was one those who died in Alcanar.
Family members of the dead suspects said they believed Imam Es Satty had radicalised several young people in their home town of Ripoll, north of Barcelona.
The imam apparently left the mosque there in June for an extended trip to Morocco, but a flatmate told the BBC he had been seen in Ripoll as recently as last Tuesday.
The father of two of those shot dead by police in Cambrils, Mohamed and Omar Hychami, told the BBC he was devastated.
Hecham Igasi also accused the imam of radicalising his sons.
El Mundo said that one of those killed in Cambrils, Said Aallaa, had left a note in his room apologising for the harm he was about to cause.
The group had apparently been planning three co-ordinated attacks using home-made bombs.
Police found about 120 gas canisters at the Alcanar site.
Spanish media outlets say Imam Satty had spent some time in prison, and had met prisoners involved or linked with the 2004 Madrid train bombings in which 191 people died.
He had also stayed in Belgium for some three months last year, where he had been searching for work, including in Vilvoorde, a small town of just 42,000 from which more than 20 jihadists departed for Syria in 2014.
The mayor of Vilvoorde, Hans Bonte, said the imam had spent time there between January and March 2016, and had been screened by police.
But at the time, there did not appear to be a serious issue, he said.
French media also report that the vehicle used in Cambrils had been caught on speed cameras in France`s Essonne region the previous week.
But a direct link between the group of attackers in Spain and the car`s appearance in France has not yet been established.
So-called Islamic State (IS) said it had carried out the Las Ramblas and Cambrils attacks, though it is not clear whether any of the attackers were directly connected to the group or simply inspired by it.
Tom Price, U.
secretary of Health and Human Services, speaks during a House Appropriations Subcommittee hearing in Washington on March 29, 2017.
Beijing (AP) -- China has been an "incredible partner" in cracking down on synthetic opioids seen as fueling fast-rising overdose deaths in the United States, U.
Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price said Monday during a visit to the country considered the source of many of the deadly substances sought by addicts.
Price said China has been quick to respond when regulators identify a threat from a dangerous drug such as fentanyl, the powerful opioid blamed for thousands of fatal overdoses, including the death of entertainer Prince.
"When a particular drug is identified as being a problem, China has been an incredible partner in helping to stop the production of drugs like fentanyl in China," Price told The Associated Press.
A bigger challenge comes from the "rapidly changing ability of individuals to formulate new chemical makeups that are a different drug and that aren`t in the controlled arena," Price said.
"The challenge is to get those taken care of much more rapidly.
And so that`s the conversations that we need to be having.
" Last month, China banned a designer drug called U-47700 and three others following U.
pressure to do more to control synthetic opioids.
In China, U-47700 had been a legal alternative to fentanyl and potent derivatives like carfentanil.
Its usage has been growing among U.
Drug Enforcement Agency has long said that China is the top source country for synthetic opioids like fentanyl and its precursors, assertions Beijing has said lack firm evidence.
Still, the two countries have deepened cooperation as the U.
opioid epidemic intensifies.
Price also expressed support for continued funding of the World Health Organization amid questions about President Donald Trump`s commitment to the United Nations.
is currently the largest contributor to the WHO`s budget.
Those in Congress responsible for drawing up budget plans "appreciate the importance of WHO, appreciate the incredible importance of the United States` support of WHO, not just rhetorically, but financially as well," Price said.
The guided-missile destroyer USS John S.
McCain arrived at Singapore’s Changi Naval Base on Monday, hours after colliding with an oil tanker and leaving 10 sailors missing and five injured.
Navy said the ship has “significant damage” to its hull, which flooded areas including crew berths, machinery and communications rooms.
The vessel collided with Alnic MC, a 600-foot Liberian oil and chemical tanker, east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore at about 6.
Japan Standard Time, the U.
Navy`s 7th Fleet said in a statement.
 The Greek-owned tanker is about three times the size of the McCain, the Navy Times reported.
Zulkifli Abu Bakar, the head of Malaysia’s Maritime Enforcement Agency, said the collision occurred in one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, 4.
5 nautical miles from Malaysia’s coast.
 Both Malaysia and Singapore say the crash happened in their waters.
A Singapore Armed Forces helicopter evacuated four of the injured sailors to a hospital in Singapore with non-life threatening injuries, the Navy said.
The fifth sailor did not need further medical treatment.
A search and rescue effort is underway involving Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and the U.
An official database for ports in Asia showed the Alnic MC  had one document deficiency, one fire safety deficiency and two safety of navigation problems when it was inspected in the Chinese port of Dongying on July 29, the Associated Press reported.
The problems were apparently not serious enough for it to be detained by the port authority.
The incident represents the second serious collision for a Navy vessel in two months.
The USS Fitzgerald collided with a freighter off the coast of Japan on June 17, leaving seven sailors dead.
The Navy last week relieved the Fitzgerald`s skipper and two top sailors of their command for losing "situational awareness" in the hours leading up to the collision.
About a dozen sailors in all are facing some punishment, including all of the destroyer`s watch, the Navy said.
The USS John S.
McCain has played a small role in recent tensions with North Korea, carrying out a "freedom of navigation operation" on Aug.
10, when it sailed to within 12 nautical miles of Mischief Reef, an artificial island built up by China in the South China Sea, the Navy said earlier this month.
The operation came as President Trump seeks China`s cooperation in dealing with North Korea`s missile and nuclear programs.
The ship is named after John S.
and John S.
, Navy admirals who were the grandfather and father, respectively, of Sen.
John McCain of Arizona.
McCain tweeted that he and his wife were "Keeping America`s sailors aboard the USS John S.
McCain in our prayers tonight — appreciate the work of search & rescue crews.
" The ship`s commander, Alfredo J.
Sanchez, is a native of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Commissioned in 1994, the USS John S.
McCain, like the Fitzgerald, is part of the Navy`s 7th Fleet.
Built at Bath Iron Works in Maine, it is part of the U.
Navy`s forward-deployed naval forces; its home port is Yokosuka, Japan.
President Trump, asked about the incident as he returned to the White House from a two-week working vacation on Sunday, said, "That`s too bad.
" A couple of hours later he tweeted that his "thoughts & prayers" were with the crew of the ship.
Contributing: Tom Vanden Brook, Gregory Korte, Jane Onyanga-Omara.
 Follow Greg Toppo on Twitter: @gtoppo Read or Share this story: https://usat.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has addressed the nation following three months of medical leave in the UK.
In a televised speech, Mr Buhari, 74, said he was "distressed" by calls for the dissolution of Nigeria, urging Nigerians to come together.
But the president failed to disclose his illness.
It was his second spell of medical leave this year.
Many Nigerians had called for him to resign during his absence, saying he was unfit to run the country.
Others have called for more transparency over his condition, as speculation grows over whether he will be fit to seek a second term in 2019.
Africa Live: Updates on this and other stories President Buhari: Profile BBC Pidgin service launched in Nigeria Lagos - the city that keeps on growing Vice-President`s Yemi Osinbajo has been in charge during his leave but Mr Buhari has now officially resumed his duties as president.
Speaking two days after his return, Mr Buhari said that comments around the dissolution of Nigeria had "crossed national red lines".
"Nigeria`s unity is settled and not negotiable," he said.
"We shall not allow irresponsible elements to start trouble.
" The president also made reference to ethnic violence in the country, blaming "political mischief-makers".
Ethnic tensions - with some calling for a separate state in the south-east known as Biafra - surfaced during his leave, while the war against the Islamist militant group Boko Haram continued in parts of the north.
Calls for Biafran independence 50 years on Stephanie Hegarty, BBC News, Lagos Nigerians were hoping to find out just what`s wrong with the president - to get some clarity on the mystery illness that had him absent from his job.
But it seems the presidency intends to keep Mr Buhari`s condition a secret.
They may have trouble convincing the public to believe the line they`ve been touting for months that the president is "hale and hearty".
He was visibly thin and frail as he greeted politicians on Saturday.
He has made some sort of recovery - in his last public appearance before he left in May, when he greeted the 82 released Chibok girls, he was barely able to stand.
On Monday, the president was eager to show that he is ready to take the reins again.
But the address will fail to answer the question on many people`s minds - does this ailing 74-year old man have the energy to lead? Back when Mr Buhari first went to London - in June 2016 - his office said it was for a persistent ear infection.
An official statement released in March 2017 - following a longer spell away - said that the president ad been on "vacation, during which he had medical check-ups".
His main opponents in Nigeria`s 2015 election had claimed he had prostate cancer - which he denied.
Buhari`s unhealthy year 19 January: Leaves for UK on "medical vacation" 5 February: Asks parliament to extend medical leave 10 March: Returns home but does not resume work immediately 7 May: Travels to UK for further treatment 6 June: Buhari`s wife says he is "recuperating fast" 19 August: Buhari returns to Nigeria Africa`s `medical tourist` presidents.